Friday, October 31, 2008

re: Ken Rufo

Ken Rufo's post on Baudrillard made me think...a lot. Mainly because it was so long I could barely concentrate. Not because of how it was written, but if something's in weblog form and is long, I struggle reading things on the net. But I got the jist of it. But I want to tahnk him for his post, because it made me interested in Baudrillard. So that's good.
What I thought about most was his explaination of the perception of money and how it is a simulacra because values of money don't represent anything about the companies or stocks or poeple it belongs to. (On a side note, I liked how Ken related simulacrum/simulacra to the rides at Disney World because it gave me a better understanding of what exactly they are). Money is a representation of something much larger than itself. It is a representaton, to most, of economic stance, social affluence and even has a large part to do with politics. Money is relateable to the hyperreal because of its representation in the stock market, because it determines how well a company is or isn't doing. The fact that money can be used in terms of credit cards is an example of this as well because the money is there but you never get to actually see the money (also the hyperreal). We know it is there but we can't see it.

No comments: