Friday, October 10, 2008

EXTRA CREDIT (because we all know I desperately need some)

Question: How does Derrida handle the interview process? Does he resist the interview process? Is there a disconnect between what the interviewer wants to know and what Derrida wants to say, i.e. between what Derrida thinks is important and what the interviewer thinks is important?


Jacques Derrida was kind of funny to watch on film. He absolutely resisted the interview process, openly and blatantly to the camera crew. While at times I thought he was being absolutely rude, I couldn't help but just laugh and think "he kind of reminds me of my grandfather" (whom I absolutely adore) so it kind of evened out.
Derrida kept mentioning how the cameras around him were unnatural, and how it didn't feel right to answer a lot of the questions to the camera which may or may not have been considered the "Other" throughout the interview process. There was one scene where he was watching himself watch himself on television, which I found funny because I feel if he saw that scene, he would have lost his mind trying to pull that apart piece by piece and talk about why it was so messed up and unnatural.
He made his own answers to his own questions... rather, he invented his own questions as opposed to even attempting to give a somewhat normal answer to a seemingly normal question coming from a "non-thinker" or "non-critic". He didn't like some of the questions the interviewer asked, which, to me, seemed like normal, regular interview questions. He and the interviewers had totally different ideas about which questions were normal or appropriate or necessary to be answered. He made his own questions from hers after putting her down for asking said forementioned question in the nicest way possible (while giggling). However, we are dealing with one of the greatest thinkers of the century, so he's bound to try to put people in their places more than a few times. (How his poor wife Marguerite deals with his vagueness and general opposition to question answering is totally beyond me.)
He said a lot in the interview that made me think... The interviewer asked him a question about love and he went off and did his Derrida thing and just totally turned the question around on her (standard Jacques). He said he couldn't possibly touch on love in general, because it was too big and important and had endless meanings. Though what he said when he asked if we love others for their singularity or qualities made me think. He determined that it is impossible to choose that we love someone for everything about them and their "singularity" because anti-love, or it's opposite, (the reason we stop loving people) is because of their specific qualities that we find unattractive. He said "love dies when we realize one doesn't merit out love not because of who they are but because of ____, ____ and ____."
I thought I would hate the movie, but some parts of it I found really interesting, and he made me laugh a lot with his old man antics. However, I heard him speaking English fluently. Perfectly, even. So why was the interviewer struggling to speak French when he probably speaks better English than anyone in this country??? Just a thought.
I'm going to attempt to do the midterm this weekend AKA I might die.

No comments: